When Walking or Jogging Alone:
- Stay alert. Keep your mind on your surroundings.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, leave.
- Use the Blue Light Phones located throughout the Grounds.
- Know the Grounds. Find out what buildings are open late where you can summon help if needed.
- Vary your route and schedule.
- Avoid walking or jogging at night.
- Wear reflective clothing at night.
- Consider not wearing headphones as they limit what you can hear.
Safety in your Dorm or Apartment:
- Never allow strangers to follow you into the building. If observed, notify the University Police immediately.
- Never prop open card reader doors or leave room doors open.
- Secure doors and windows prior to leaving.
- Call 911 if you see someone in the building who does not belong.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid isolated areas.
- Avoid walking alone at night. Use the Safe Ride Service or walk with friends.
- Use the lighted pathway system.
- Tell a friend where you are going and when you will return.
- Notify police immediately of suspicious or criminal activity.
- Never leave your cup unattended.
- Identifying suspicious packages can be difficult. If you are uncertain about a package, call your local police department.
In The Car:
- Keep your car in good running condition to avoid breakdown.
- Plan your route in advance, particularly on long or unfamiliar trips.
- Have enough gas money to get you to your destination and back.
- Drive with all car doors locked.
- Keep windows rolled up.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- Activate the fire alarm if you detect a fire in a building.
- Exit by the nearest stairway.
- Call 911 or use a Blue Light phone to notify emergency personnel.
- Attempt to extinguish the fire only if you can do so safely.
- Learn the locations of the emergency exits and fire equipment.
- Always exit the building in the event of a fire alarm.
- Never leave textbooks, purses, or book bags unattended.
- Secure cash, checkbooks, and credit cards in a safe place.
- Carry only small amounts of cash.
- Call 911 immediately to report lost or stolen property.
- Notify Business Operations immediately to report lost or stolen student I.D. cards.
- Invest in a good lock, such as a U-shaped hardened steel padlock.
- Lock the bike frame and wheels to a bike rack (not trees, posts, etc.).
- Register your bicycle with the University of Virginia Police.
- Use a helmet and obey all traffic laws.
- Do not leave laptops unattended.
- Record the serial number of the computer, equipment, etc.
- Use anchor security devices to lock personal computers.
- Keep your vehicle locked when its parked and when you drive.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view. Lock them in trunk.
- Park Near light posts.
- Report suspicious activity immediately.
Click Here for information from ITS on how to protect yourself from Identity Theft.