The University of Virginia Police Department is seeking applicants for newly opened Security Officer positions. We are seeking applicants who want to serve the community and help keep the University and surrounding area safe.
As a Security Officer at one of the nation’s top public universities, you will be serving in a vibrant community with a variety of culture, recreation and entertainment opportunities – suitable for families and young professionals.
UPD takes pride in being a leader in community-based, progressive approaches toward safety. The department supports its employees and encourages them to introduce creative and innovative ways to promote public safety, engage the community and be a leader on grounds.
At UPD, Security Officers are un-armed, uniformed non-sworn employees who play an integral role in the overall safety and security at the University.
Responsibilities and Duties of a Security Officer:
- Engage in community service through fair and impartial practices. Decisions and enforcement will not be predicated on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
- Patrol designated areas to identify, report, and, when reasonable and possible, resolve security issues on Grounds and at the Hospital.
- Report suspicious and criminal activities and activities requiring additional personnel to the appropriate police agency.
- Generate reports and conduct traffic control functions as needed.
- May assist law enforcement officers with securing crime scenes, provide security services for special assignments, such as sporting events and concerts.
- Operate under the supervision of a Security Sergeant and serve as additional eyes and ears to University police officers.
- Act as a campus security authority as defined by the federal Jeane Clery Disclosure Act.
- Act as a responsible employee under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which includes timely reporting of incidents of sexual harassment/misconduct.
- Applicants must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent, as well as previous work experience in security or in a position dealing with the public.
- A Valid Virginia driver’s license with a positive points balance is required or the ability to got a Virginia Driver's License within the first 90 days of employment.
- A demonstrated ability to be responsive, approachable, and provide courteous engagement with the community is essential.
- Applicants must possess strong oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to accurately write reports and testify in court.
- The ability to maintain a calm, balanced perspective, and successfully complete duties in a stressful situation is required, as is the ability to analyze situations and use good judgment.
- Applicants must be comfortable with working in a variety of environments including outdoors, in the hospital, and in other University facilities.
The starting salary for all Security Officers at the University of Virginia is $18.00/hour ( $37,440 annually) with the potential for overtime
Candidates will be required to complete a background investigation, psychological evaluation, and drug screen prior to their first day of employment.